Quotes From The Great Gatsby With Page Numbers. “The Great Gatsby” is a novel written by F. Scott Fitzgerald that tells the story of Jay Gatsby and his love for Daisy Buchanan. The novel is known for its captivating prose and memorable quotes that have become iconic in American literature. In this essay, we will highlight some of the most significant quotes from “The Great Gatsby” along with their respective page numbers.
Quotes From The Great Gatsby With Page Numbers
- “I hope she’ll be a fool – that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool” (page 21).
This quote, spoken by Daisy Buchanan, highlights the limited opportunities and expectations for women in the 1920s.
- “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past” (page 180).
This quote, which is the final sentence of the novel, emphasizes the idea that the past is inescapable and that people are doomed to repeat it.
- “I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life” (page 35).
This quote, spoken by Nick Carraway, the narrator of the novel, captures the complex and contradictory nature of the human experience.
- “They were careless people, Tom and Daisy – they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made” (page 187).
This quote, spoken by Nick Carraway, highlights the selfishness and indifference of the wealthy characters in the novel.
- “Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter – tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther… And one fine morning – So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past” (page 180).
This quote, spoken by Nick Carraway, refers to Gatsby’s unwavering hope for the future and his belief in the possibility of achieving his dreams.
In conclusion, “The Great Gatsby” is a novel that is filled with memorable quotes that capture the essence of the characters and their experiences. These quotes provide insight into the themes of the novel and have become iconic in American literature. By highlighting some of these quotes along with their respective page numbers, readers can better appreciate the depth and beauty of this novel.